Wednesday 16 January 2013

But shit, it was 99 cents!


Yesterday, I headed over to Doonside to pickup my latest purchase, or rather, bargain. It was a collection of 16 books aptly named The Greatest Masterpieces of Russian Literature.


I had won it at an eBay auction for 99 cents. Oh you read that right. 99 cents. Hence, the post title's Macklemore reference.

My mother and I felt pretty terrible about simply waltzing away with such a beautiful collection so we decided to gift the now-previous owner a nice bottle of wine.

Sure, the books may not be in mint condition but it's what's on the pages that matter. What's more, the books have wonderful illustrations!


Can you say gorgeous? In fact, while I was reading Crime and Punishment, I often stop and look at the book's cover and spine.


There's an ornate gold baroque design on the pastedown. All the more to distract me from reading.


While I'm on the topic of books, I recently discovered a site called AwesomeBooks. They sell both used and new books for quite cheap prices. The books I've bought so far are used copies and cost me $3.99 each, free shipping included! It took about 10-14 days to receive the order.


It's suffice to say that I'll definitely be purchasing more books from AwesomeBooks rather than paying exorbitant sums at bookstores and flea markets. In fact, whenever I visit a bookstore now, I simply take a picture of the book I'm interested in and I look it up on their site. More often than not, I find that the book is available for a fraction of a fraction of the price!

If you're a lover of used books like me, then I definitely recommend AwesomeBooks.

PS: My IELTS exams are on the day after tomorrow - 19th January 2013. The days just flew by so quick, didn't they? I'm think I'm prepared and yet, not prepared...if I may offer you a riddle. Alright alright, enough The Ladykillers references. Auf wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment